Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Who Lives in a Pineapple Under the Sea?"

Yup, I quoted the Spongebob theme song in my title, so what? I wanted to put a picture of his pineapple house too, but this blog's just not that fancy (and this internet's just not that fast). Anyways, this is all relevant, I promise. I just ate a pineapple. The end.

Gotcha, not the end! Prepare yourself for a thrilling lib story: about... some number of years ago, let's say.. 6, I developed a very mild allergy to pineapple (e.g. itchy throat, mouth, ears). Since that time I've gone through phases ranging from respecting the allergy and avoiding even the most tempting of pineapples, to attempts to defeat the allergy via frequent pineapple consumption. Anyhoo, while in Ghana two years ago, I discovered that Ghanaian pineapples somehow didn't trigger my allergy, I had won! Alas, it came back towards the end of my stay, and here I am now... in Uganda. I just ate a pineapple, which I bought for the equivalent of 30 cents (a whole pineapple), and not a single reaction!

Hm.. Perhaps that wasn't blog-worthy. But you've already read it! Ha.

Can you tell I've been stuck in the house again all day? The embassy advised us to stay home (or in the neighborhood) again, and I was really disappointed at the prospect of another slow day, but it looks like tomorrow we'll be back in action! We have an ops meeting (operations, if you didn't figure that out) in the morning and then I'll have lunch with the Program Director to discuss my position in more depth (although I got an overview today).

Looks like primarily, I'll be working with a team of four mentors at four different schools around Kampala. They are responsible for teaching a two-hour Socially Responsible Leadership Course once a week to high school age students in addition to supervising a Social Entrepreneurship Club. I will be meeting with the mentors one-on-one every week, sitting in on their classes frequently and participating in larger meetings with the whole organization. I've also been put in charge of writing a "poverty manual," which will essentially serve as a resource for the students to use in understanding issues of poverty on a deeper level, seeing how it is relevant to their communities, and how they can develop projects to address specific issues. Quite a task! Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment